True server mesh
- There is no single point of congestion
- Load is dynamically assigned and reassigned across the network of servers in real time
- Service auto-heals and routes around networking or server failures
- Built primarily on Amazon EC2 infrastructure, Ably can scale without limits to meet demand
- Each datacenter scales independently to meet demand in that region
- At our peak, we have achieved a rate in excess of 4,000,000 messages per second! Twitter's record of 327,000 per second was set during the 2012 US elections
- Messages are always delivered within our server mesh using the shortest route
- Our routing algorithms ensure performance of a single region is never effected by another region
- Example: a message published in Europe is broadcasted immediately by the same datacenter to European clients whilst concurrently relaying the message to other regions
Ably Data Stream Network
Ably’s global Data Stream Network provides rock-solid infrastructure and efficient network architecture.
Businesses depend on us to operate highly available apps, services, and APIs. It gives them the ability to stream data anywhere, at any scale, with mission-critical reliability. By building on Ably’s Data Stream Network, engineering teams reduce their technical complexity so they can focus on innovation.
Ably’s Push Notifications offers a way to notify your users working with apps on native iOS and Android platforms.Learn more about Push Notifications
The Ably platform ensures interoperability between clients using our native Ably realtime protocol, and clients using other realtime or queueing protocols, including some of our competitors. We believe customers should choose the right protocol for the job, and migrate to Ably with ease.Learn more about Protocol Adapters
Reactor Events runs code on your servers by invoking serverless functions for each message in real time.
Reactor Queues provide a scalable way to consume realtime data from your servers.
Reactor Firehose streams your data into 3rd party systems such as Kinesis or Kafka.
The Ably API Streamer helps organizations effectively deploy, manage, and distribute streaming APIs so they can focus on building new data streams and not the supporting infrastructure.
Driven by customer demand, industry pioneers are using the API Streamer to develop and distribute streaming APIs to their customers.
Reduce your engineering complexity and improve performance
- Data is always stored in two or more datacenters
- Every server is treated as ephemeral - server failures will never result in loss of data
- Problematic servers are removed from the grid within seconds of failing our realtime diagnostic checks
- Message ordering is guaranteed
- With over 14 autonomous datacenters Ably will always be online
- Designed from the ground up to cope with massive outages such as root level DNS failure or entire datacenter network isolation
- Our client library SDKs ensure service availability issues are tackled in real time by routing directly to alternative datacenters that allow connection state to be recovered
Stacks of power
- The Ably service and all servers are monitored and optimized in real time so we'll never be caught off-guard when you have traffic bursts
- Network congestion or high utilization of servers automatically triggers allocation of more resources
- Although we advocate the use of our client library SDKs, a complete REST API along with documentation is available
- Supports JSON, XML and a discoverable HTML version
- Token-based authentication, including JWT support, ensures private keys remain private, and compromised tokens have limited value because of their expiration
- Support for basic authentication over SSL/TLS connections for authentication convenience
- Security policies can be assigned to authentication tokens when you create them, giving you control and peace of mind at all times
- Privileges can be assigned to private keys giving you control over any private keys you share with 3rd parties
- Policies can assign privileges to access any number of channels, and assign subscribe, publish, register presence, or access statistics rights
- EU and US-only data storage
- EU GDPR compliant
- HIPAA compliant
- ISO 27001 formal certification in December 2019
- SOC 2 Type II formal certification in March 2020
- WebSockets are our preferred transport because of their portability and performance
- Failing that, we fall back to XHR Streaming, HTTP Polling, and even JSONP where necessary.
- Ably simultaneously opens connections on multiple transports and upgrades or downgrades as necessary, meaning clients connect quickly regardless of the transport available
- Our client library SDKs detect changing network conditions and select transports to best suit the current connection.
- Library support for iOS, Android, Cordova / PhoneGap, Xamarin with more coming soon, see our mobile browser support.
- Ably retains connection state on our servers ensuring clients that are disconnected will not lose data whilst disconnected.
- Client library SDKs for almost every internet-enabled platform on earth
- Connections are optimized based on the device's capabilities
- Support for devices ranging from PCs and servers, to tablets, mobiles and even game consoles
- Support for legacy browsers that don't support WebSockets or even XHR
- Our library provides workarounds for CORS and other browser and firewall security restrictions