True server mesh
- There is no single point of congestion
- Load is dynamically assigned and reassigned across the network of servers in real time
- Service auto-heals and routes around networking or server failures
- Built primarily on Amazon EC2 infrastructure, Ably can scale without limits to meet demand
- Each data center scales independently to meet demand in that region
- At our peak, we have achieved a rate in excess of 4,000,000 messages per second! Twitter's record of 327,000 per second was set during the 2012 US elections
- Messages are always delivered within our server mesh using the shortest route
- Our routing algorithms ensure performance of a single region is never effected by another region
- Example: a message published in Europe is broadcasted immediately by the same data center to European clients whilst concurrently relaying the message to other regions
Ably Realtime Core
Ably's global distributed realtime data delivery platform provides a rock-solid foundation to deliver core realtime functionality such as pub/sub, presence, device awareness, history, connection state recovery, authentication and encryption. Ably's additional services are delivered as part of the core platform.Select a service to learn more
Ably’s Smart Notifications offers a less intrusive and more effective way to notify your users with native iOS, Android and browser notifications. Instead of delivering “dumb” push notifications to your users when you wish to get their attention, Ably allows you to deliver messages based on a user’s connection state, their active device and their current context within your application.More on Smart Notifications
The Ably platform ensures interoperability between clients using our native Ably realtime protocol, and clients using other realtime or queueing protocols, including some of our competitors. We believe customers should choose the right protocol for the job, and migrate to Ably with ease.More on Protocol Adaptors
Reactor Events runs code on your servers or by invoking server-less functions for each message in real time.
Reactor Queues provide a scalable way to consume realtime data from your servers.
Reactor Firehose streams your data into 3rd party systems such as Kinesis or Kafka.
The Ably Exchange is still being built so we're not quite ready to tell you about it. Watch this space, we'll be making announcements as we get closer to our launch date.Get in touch to find out more.
Ably Platform features Ably Smart Notification features Ably Adapters features Ably Reactor features Ably Exchange features
- Data is always stored in 3 or more data centers
- Every server is treated as ephemeral - server failures will never result in loss of data
- Problematic servers are removed from the grid within seconds of failing our realtime diagnostic checks
- Message ordering is guaranteed
- With over 22 autonomous data centers Ably will always be online
- Designed from the ground up to cope with massive outages such as root level DNS failure or entire data center network isolation
- Our client libraries ensure service availability issues are tackled in real time by routing directly to alternative data centers that allow connection state to be recovered
Stacks of power
- The Ably service and all servers are monitored and optimized in real time so we'll never be caught off-guard when you have traffic bursts
- Network congestion or high utilization of servers automatically triggers allocation of more resources
- Although we advocate the use of our client libraries, a complete REST API along with documentation is available
- Supports JSON, XML and a discoverable HTML version
- Token-based authentication ensures private keys remain private, and compromised tokens would have limited value because of their expiration
- Support for basic authentication over SSL/TLS connections for authentication convenience
- Security policies can be assigned to authentication tokens when you create them, giving you control and peace of mind at all times
- Privileges can be assigned to private keys giving you control over any private keys you share with 3rd parties
- Policies can assign privileges to access any number of channels, and assign subscribe, publish, register presence, or access statistics rights
- WebSockets are our preferred transport because of their portability and performance
- Failing that, we fall back to XHR Streaming, HTTP Polling, and even JSONP where necessary.
- Ably simultaneously opens connections on multiple transports and upgrades or downgrades as necessary, meaning clients connect quickly regardless of the transport available
- Our client libraries detect changing network conditions and select transports to best suit the current connection.
- Library support for iOS, Android, Cordova / PhoneGap, Xamarin with more coming soon, see our mobile browser support.
- Ably retains connection state on our servers ensuring clients that are disconnected will not lose data whilst disconnected.
- Client libraries for almost every internet-enabled platform on earth
- Connections are optimized based on the device's capabilities
- Support for devices ranging from PCs and servers, to tablets, mobiles and even game consoles
- Support for legacy browsers that don't support WebSockets or even XHR
- Our library provides workarounds for CORS and other browser and firewall security restrictions